Looking for a business that you can build around your busy lifestyle?
You’ve landed on the right page!
There has never been a better time to start an online business. American Express OPEN’s 2016 State Of Women Owned Business Report revealed that 11.3 million businesses are currently owned by women.
An average of 1072 new female-owned companies are being started every single day!
This number is growing five times faster than the national average for all businesses, highlighting the explosion in female entrepreneurship.
Starting a business really doesn’t have to be the painful, stressful and mind-numbing ordeal it is for so many people.
Plenty of people get sucked into business opportunities without knowing what they’re letting themselves in for.
Don’t get me wrong…
Starting a business is hard. It takes a whole lot of effort, dedication and consistency…
But most people just make it harder for themselves by either jumping into the wrong opportunity, head first, or not educating themselves properly on what it actually takes to succeed in business.
This is part of the reason why only half of all business startups last for more than two years.
The goal of this blog post is to give you the best advice possible on the most popular business ideas for women.
Ofcourse, there’s no limit to the type of business you can open up as an aspiring female entrepreneur but this guide specifically covers businesses that can be started around a very busy lifestyle.
In This Article You’ll Learn How You Can:
- Build a profitable online business that you can run from anywhere with a laptop.
- Avoid the most common mistakes that people make when first starting out in business
- Become a successful entrepreneur by leveraging the tools and training that will empower you with the skill sets required for success.
Best Business Ideas For Women Entrepreneurs
Affiliate marketing is a business model where the “affiliate” is paid a commission for referring a product. This could be anything from makeup to doggie treats and courses that teach guys how to date the woman of their dreams!
Affiliate marketing is everywhere. It’s a business model that is increasingly being adopted by larger companies as big firms are waking up to the potential of this type of business.
Affiliate marketing is not just a great business idea for women, it’s great for anyone looking to setup a profitable online business in a relatively short space of time.
This infographic explains how affiliate marketing works in an easily digestible fashion:
Benefits Of Affiliate Marketing:
- Location independence. You’re in business as long as you have a laptop and an internet connection.
- Potentially a very fast way to generate an income on the internet.
- You don’t need to be a technical computer genius to get started.
- Low barrier of entry, easy to get yourself setup, low investment requirements.
- No need to hold stock or ship out physical products.
Things To Watch Out For:
- Anyone that tells you that affiliate marketing is a walk in the park. Hard work and dedication are pre-requisites to success, just like any other business.
- Promoting the wrong products that make it extremely hard to earn a good income. Picking the right affiliate business platform is essential to your success.
- Jumping head-first into a program without getting the right training.
How Do People Start Affiliate Marketing?
There are tonnes of ways people get started with affiliate marketing and it all depends on the situation. Most people stumble onto this business model dip their toes in for a little bit before giving up after a few short months.
Affiliate marketing has a high learning curve. You’ll need to learn how to market products, write effective copy and build a relationship with your readers and subscribers.
If you have the best training you will still get overwhelmed and probably feel like punching your computer a few times. 🙂
But if you’re willing to stick with it, stay consistent and do the work. The rewards far outweigh the time and resource investment…
What would you be willing to do to build a passive income stream that generates $5000 for you every month, virtually on auto-pilot?
Would you be willing to graft hard for a few months?
That’s the beauty of this business model.
Once you put the work in and set up your systems up you don’t need to be constantly working on things.
The technology we have available to us – things like email autoresponders, landing pages and marketing funnels allow us to automate the most important parts of our business.
Affiliate Marketing Resources:
- A list of the highest paying affiliate programs
- In-depth guide to what affiliate marketing is and how it works
- Beginners guide to learning all things affiliate marketing
- 5 super successful affiliate marketing websites
Wedding planning is one of the most popular business ideas for women entrepreneurs.
Probably once of the most stereotypical business ideas for women, but one of the most popular none the less! If you’re a people person and love the idea of planning magical days for couples then wedding planning could be a great business idea for you to investigate.
Demand for wedding planning is high. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that this demand will increase at a higher than average rate between now and 2020.
Here are a few things you should keep in mind before starting a wedding planning business:
Startup costs – Starting a wedding planning business isn’t expensive as you’ll be working for yourself, which means you won’t have to pay for office space!
That said, there are definitely some upfront costs involved in getting this type of business off the ground but you typically get yourself started for less than $2000.
Part-time suitable – Wedding planning can be started as a part-time business from the comfort of your own home. However, this is by no means a “sit back in a chair and relax” sort of business. You must be highly organised, creative and have the ability to meet strict deadlines.
Your portfolio – The main way to sell your services will be through an online portfolio. People also love seeing testimonials to prove you can do what you say you can.
You may need to either volunteer your services or provide them at a discounted rate when first getting started to build up your portfolio and reputation.
What Skills Do I Need?
You don’t need any formal skills to become a wedding planner. This doesn’t make the work easy though.
Wedding planning actually requires one of the most diverse skill sets for any job. It requires great attention to detail, leadership, ability to empathise with people and connect with them.
You also need to be a good listener, designer, strategist and therapist. One of the most essential skills for wedding planning is organisational skills, after all, this is what your clients are paying for in the first place!
Wedding Planning Resources:
- 6 things to keep in mind before starting a wedding planning business (The Huffington Post)
- Insights into event planning from a successful female entrepreneur (Entrepreneur.com)
- How to start a wedding planning business (Workspace.co.uk)
- How to become a wedding planner (Startups.co.uk)
If you’re one for arts and crafts, you can start an online business selling your unique craft creations.
An entrepreneur by the name of Alicia Shaffer earns close to $1 million a year selling handmade leg warmers, scarves and headbands through a marketplace called Etsy.
Etsy is essentially a worldwide online marketplace where people sell unique goods. It’s similar to Amazon except for things like toe rings and beaded necklaces.
Millions of people all over the world use Etsy to buy and sell unique goods online.
How Does It All Work?
Etsy provides a platform for sellers with unique goods. They provide all the tools for you to sell, manage and fulfil orders. They also have tools that can help with marketing and promotion for your products.
You also have the option to create your own custom website. This website can then be integrated with your Etsy store, allowing complete and seamless integration of your product sale process.
Etsy also exposes your business to a global audience, allowing you to reach people who might not have otherwise found you.
Craft Making Resources
- 10 tips for starting an Etsy business (Etsy.com)
- 15 alternatives to selling on Etsy (toughnickel.com)
- 10 things for building a successful online craft business (createandthrive.com)
- Ultimate guide to selling on Etsy (Unsettle.org)
Blogging can be a great way to start a business on the side. Most people think blogging is just a hobby and that you can’t really make money from it at all.
This couldn’t be further from the truth!
Jon Morrow makes 100k a month from his blog SmartBlogger.
Neil Patel makes millions every year with his Quicksprout blog.
Patt Flynn from Smart Passive Income generated $1.7 million on his blog through affiliate marketing. He posts his monthly income reports for the world to see
These are just a few examples of successful bloggers today. There are thousands of people generating a handsome income from blogging alone.
Is Advertising Evil?
Many bloggers almost feel guilty when they think about “monetising” their blog. We assume that advertising is such a bad thing because we’re so accustomed to having products and service we don’t want, forced down our throats.
That form of advertising is dead. Promoting things on your blog is completely different and here’s why:
You have complete control over the things that are promoted on your blog. This means that you’ll (hopefully) only select products that will actually benefit your readers.
So you can let go of any negativity surrounding advertising because you’re genuinely helping your readers.
What’s The Secret?
The secret to blogging is that there is no secret. Starting and running a successful blog requires a certain level of marketing knowledge. Knowledge that everyone has access to. It’s just a skill that can be learnt, like any other skill!
The fundamental principles of a successful blog are ones that:
- Provides value to their readers in the form of amazing content, resulting in a loyal following.
- Drives targeted traffic to their website by implementing evergreen SEO strategies.
- Has a system in place to convert that targeted traffic into leads, subscribers and customers.
A blog that receives targeted traffic on any niche is a blog that can generate passive income for you.
Resources For Aspiring Blogging Champions:
- How to start a blog from scratch – (Bloggingbasics101.com)
- Content Marketing Guide – (neilpatel.com)
- How to make money blogging – (Smartblogger.com)
Everyone wants a little help to reach new targets they set for themselves. Coaching is a booming industry, and most of it is now being done online, giving you the flexibility to work from anywhere!
If you’re an expert in any particular field and love helping people then this could be a great online business idea for you.
An awesome thing about having your whole business online is that your physical presence isn’t in demand, allowing you to scale you business up and reach more people in a shorter space of time!
Coaching through the internet means you’ll be delivering your services via:
One one Skype calls, Google Hangouts, pre-recorded videos and even webinars for group calls.
If you already own or have worked with successful businesses in the past, a business coach could be the right option for you. Business coaches and mentors are highly sought after as more people understand the value of high-level business knowledge.
The reality of owning and managing a business is that it can be very difficult. Your services are much needed!
Business Coach Resources
- How business coaches can become very wealthy – (forbes.com)
- Becoming a successful business coach – (smallbusiness.co.uk)
- Starting your own coaching business – (yourkickasslife.com)
Do you love motivating people?
Are you a great listener with the ability to decipher the problems and goals of prospective clients?
Life coaching doesn’t require any formal qualifications so it can be hard to gauge whether you’ll be good or not.
Personally I think life coaches should be very aware and conscious about life. They should have a wealth of life experience, wisdom and knowledge of what it takes to change yourself as a person.
A life coach is typically someone who has overcome many obstacles and difficulties in their life, putting them in a position of experience to help other people do the same.
Life Coaching Resources:
- The complete guide to life coaching – (lifecoachspotter.com)
- Life coaching FAQ – (lifecoach-irectory.org.uk)
- Becoming a coach – (forbes.com)
- My decision to become a life coach – (huffingtonpost.com)
So there are tonnes of business ideas for women entrepreneurs out there, thanks to the internet. The internet has made it so much easier for us to build businesses and ultimately live a lifestyle that was impossible for most people just twenty years ago.
Before you jump into starting a business, make sure you do your research properly. The last thing you want is to invest your money into something, only to find out that it isn’t something suited for you later down the line.
Hungry for more? Check out these posts:
- Online Business Ideas – The Definitive List
- Wealth Creation Lessons From Successful Entrepreneurs
- Business Ideas With Low Startup Investment
Some of the ideas overlap but you’ll find plenty of useful, actionable information in each post! I hope you’ve enjoyed this list of business ideas for women. I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!